A woven curtain, blanket finishes and Coronavirus

As much as I didn't want to talk about the coronavirus, it deserves a brief mention for historical purposes.  As I'm a homebody by nature and enjoy playing in my own sandbox, aka the Studio, this government-imposed quarantine has not really bothered me. I have missed seeing my knitting buds but that time will come. I have remained busy in my Studio as well as cleaning and re-organizing other parts of my house.  Since Mar 10, we've only made 1 trip to the grocery store for emergency supplies and hubs went by himself. I made a couple full face masks for us before he left.   Not sure how much longer the quarantine will last, but I'm not too eager to get amongst people who are infected and don't bother to stay home, so I'll stay home myself.

So, as to the projects I've been working on.
  • Zoom Loom curtain in the Studio
  • Temperature Blanket update
  • Two (2) rag quilts completed
  • Zoom Loom squares (aka pin loom) blanket
  • Project Linus donations
In 2013, I purchased the Schacht Zoom Loom and I made a lot of squares, I mean a lot. I used all kinds of different yarns ......... thick and thin, sock yarn, novelty yarns, all kinds of colors.  At the end of this run, I had well over 350 squares.  They sat in a Sterilite box since then, I had no idea what to do with them. I made some sachets with them from time to time, but no big plans.

So, in the Studio, I needed a short curtain to minimize the brightness of the sky while sitting at the work table. I was thinking about what to do and what fabric I could use when I remembered the Zoom Loom squares. I started hand sewing some and then decided to zigzag them together which worked perfectly.  There are 14 individual panels with 5 squares in each panel.  Because they are individual panels, I can look out at any point between panels. It works beautifully.

Next up....an Update on my Temperature blanket - 5 full columns are complete.

\
 
 This crocheted blanket will have 17 columns, including the "key" at the far left, being the 1st column. The top colors are the cold months ending with teal 50-59 deg F.  The lower block of colors, starting with lime green at 60-69 represents the warmer months.

Next up are the 2 Rag quilts.  
I had so much fun with my first one, which I'm keeping, that I decided I wanted to do another one for Project Linus, using my crumbs and scrap fabric, mixed in with some 10" squares and other fabrics.
I love the result.

 
and then I used some doggie flannel on the back


The 2nd Rag quilt I decided I wanted to try it in strips.  While I like it ok, the one done in squares is much better. More appealing to the eye and much more whimsical.  I don't know that I'll do another strip one, the only good point is that it was easier to assemble.  This one is also going to Project Linus.


I can't recall if I ever posted about the crocheted Hexagon blanket on the other blog, but I had started working on them in early 2018.  I ended up with a lot of hexagons and then seamed them together with a whip stitch. It turned out to be a pretty good size blanket which I had intended to keep. It sat in the closet in a large pillowcase, unused.  Now with the Temperature Blanket which I will keep, I decided I would give away the Hexagon blanket to Project Linus. It will keep a teenager warm for sure. 



 Next up is the corner-to-corner knitted blanket, all in garter stitch.  This one is using Lion Brand's Ice Cream and the size is 36'x36". This will also be donated to Project Linus.



and finally, back to the Zoom Loom squares.  Since I had so many to start with (and seem to still have plenty) I finally came up with what I wanted to do with them.  I am single crocheting around the edges with "Feels Like Butta" in a pale grey and then I will seam them together as I did with the hexagon blanket. I will finish it with a complete round of single and/or double crochet



So, to wrap up this post, I'll be donating the following to Project Linus:
  1. Rag Quilt in squares
  2. Rag Quilt in strips
  3. Knitted corner-to-corner blanket
  4. Crochet hexagon blanket
  5. Woven Squares blanket

Comments