Hexagon Quilt - Quilt-as-you-Go

These are Hexagons that you quilt as you go.  Once you place them together with the template I'm going to mention below, you pin (or use a magnet), you fold over the edges as in quilt binding, machine sew or by hand, and voila you have a quilted piece.
I bought the Daisy & Grace template from Missouri Star Quilting Co on the day they had it as their Daily Special. I know, how did I get so lucky??  I had so many thoughts and plans the day I ordered it.  Well, by the time it arrived 2 weeks later some of the excitement had died down.

Well, it didn't take long for that excitement to rev back up. Start stash diving and deciding what color scheme you might possibly want. I'm using mostly white background and colorful inside pieces. Some of the inside pieces are crumb blocks.
 You can sew down the edge by machine or by hand. I tried both but I think the hand sewing makes it a softer block, more pliable.  I decided I wanted to use perle cotton in different colors to add a little more personal touch as well as a more decorative look, not just doing a blind hem stitch.
 One can see the crumb blocks, one surrounded by white and one by reddish pink I like the bursts of color.

You can see the template here. It's 2 pieces. You cut the background fabric with the larger piece and the inner fabric and batting with the smaller piece. The small piece will fit a 5" charm.

So now you have 3 cut pieces.

Process:
1. Lay the outer fabric right side down.
2. Place the outer template on the outer fabric
3. Place the batting piece inside the outer template
4. Place the top fabric on top of the batting
5. Pin the 3 layers together
6. Remove the outer template
7. Fold over the edges as you do binding, one side at a time. This will fold the edges like a miter on the corners.  I use Wonder Clips until I get it to the iron, I usually iron as I go.

I think this is a brilliant template method.  I will usually get some ready to sew while in my Studio so that I can take it to the living room and sew around the edges while sitting with the hubs. It does make nice portable sewing.

Once I get more done, I'll start whip stitching or ladder stitching them together.

Hopefully you'll try it out!

Joining the Linking Parties:

Comments

  1. That does look like a brilliant way to make hexies. I'd say I'll go buy one today but I shouldn't start anything more until I finish some UFOs and the pieces I've already started this year. But it does call my name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the template ruler too but haven't used it yet. I really like the pearl cotton stitching you added. It gives it a little extra something. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the crumb and pearl cotton idea! Makes it special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across your pin and can’t find these templates. Can you or anyone else help me find them please? I would be happy to buy them used. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you show what the back of your quilt looks like?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment