Boro Stitch

The Boro Stitch, the lesser known or a type of Sashiko stitching, is a simple embroidery method used typically in Japan to mend clothing and extend their lifespan. The simplicity of this system is also its beauty. I have found myself salvaging clothing by placing a small patch of crumbs or just one on a hole in the clothing and doing a simple running stitch on and around the hole. It is amazing!


There are a multitude of Boro stitching packages out there where designers color-coordinate patches so all is matchy-matchy.  It's a great place to start. However, I prefer to use my fabric scraps.  So get your fabric scraps out, and a piece of muslin or other fabric, solid is best, piece of an old pair of jeans is fine. Then start laying your pieces on the muslin to try them out, move them around, picture the thread you'll use, etc.  Layer them sporadically on top of each other until you get a layout you like.  Or you can start off with some medium pieces and go ahead and sew them down and around them.  Then layer more, etc.

These pieces are done with the first method. I laid them down on the muslin and moved the pieces until I liked the layout. I secured them with some pins and then started sewing. I became a little more creative with the stitches the more I did.  It was sooo much fun!

Some I have kept, others I placed on top of a card and mailed it to a friend.  Handmade card!!


Comments